The _FULLSCREEN statement attempts to make the program window fullscreen.
- _FULLSCREEN [_STRETCH | _SQUAREPIXELS| _OFF][, _SMOOTH]
- _STRETCH default first choice attempts to mimic QBasic's full screens if possible. _FULLSCREEN (function) returns 1.
- _SQUAREPIXELS alternate choice enlarges the pixels into squares on some monitors. _FULLSCREEN returns 2
- _OFF turns _FULLSCREEN off after full screen has been enabled. _FULLSCREEN (function) returns 0.
- Second optional parameter _SMOOTH applies antialiasing to the stretched screen.
- Set the SCREEN mode and text WIDTH when necessary first. Otherwise there may be desktop view issues.
- _FULLSCREEN with no parameters chooses _STRETCH or _SQUAREPIXELS (prioritizes _STRETCH to mimic QBasic if possible)
- Check the fullscreen mode with the _FULLSCREEN function in your programs when a method is required.
- It is advisable to get input from the user to confirm that fullscreen was completed or there were possible monitor incompatibilities.
- If fullscreen is not confirmed with a _FULLSCREEN (function) return greater than 0, then disable with _FULLSCREEN _OFF.
- NOTE: _FULLSCREEN can also be affected by custom _FONT size settings and make program screens too large.
Example 1: Setting the screen mode first prevents enlargement of the desktop before the program window is set:
Example 2: How fonts and _FULLSCREEN affect the program's window size.
SCREEN 0 DO PRINT LINE INPUT "Enter MODE 1) ENLARGE WINDOW 2) FULL _SQUAREPIXELS 3) FULL _STRETCH: ", WMODE$ PRINT IF WMODE$ = "1" THEN INPUT "SIZE 1 TO 9: ", ENLARGE% SELECT CASE ENLARGE% CASE 1, 2, 3, 4, 5: STYLE$ = "MONOSPACE, BOLD" CASE 6, 7, 8, 9: STYLE$ = "MONOSPACE" CASE ELSE: STYLE$ = "MONOSPACE" END SELECT SELECT CASE WMODE$ CASE "1" full = _FULLSCREEN IF full > 0 THEN _FULLSCREEN _OFF f& = _LOADFONT("c:\windows\fonts\lucon.ttf", 13 + ENLARGE%, STYLE$) _FONT f& CASE "2" _FULLSCREEN _SQUAREPIXELS full = _FULLSCREEN IF full = 0 THEN GOSUB FCHECK CASE "3" _FULLSCREEN _STRETCH full = _FULLSCREEN IF full = 0 THEN GOSUB FCHECK END SELECT mode = _FULLSCREEN PRINT PRINT "_FULLSCREEN mode ="; mode, PRINT "PRESS ESC TO END OR ENTER TO CONTINUE..." DO: SLEEP: B$ = INKEY$: LOOP UNTIL B$ = CHR$(13) OR B$ = CHR$(27) GOSUB ClearFont LOOP UNTIL B$ = CHR$(27) ClearFont END FCHECK: Z3 = timer DO IF TIMER < Z3 THEN Z3 = Z3 - TIMER IF TIMER - Z3 > 4 THEN EXIT DO LOOP full = _FULLSCREEN IF full = 0 THEN _FULLSCREEN _OFF: SOUND 100, .75 RETURN ClearFont: IF f& > 0 THEN _FONT 16 'select inbuilt 8x16 default font _FREEFONT f& END IF RETURN
Example 3: Testing all fullscreen methods.
PRINT "Hello, world!" PRINT "Hit 1 for windowed mode; PRINT " 2 for _STRETCH" PRINT " 3 for _SQUAREPIXELS" PRINT " 4 for _STRETCH, _SMOOTH" PRINT " 5 for _SQUAREPIXELS, _SMOOTH" DO k$ = INKEY$ SELECT CASE VAL(k$) CASE 1 _FULLSCREEN _OFF CASE 2 _FULLSCREEN _STRETCH CASE 3 _FULLSCREEN _SQUAREPIXELS CASE 4 _FULLSCREEN _STRETCH, _SMOOTH CASE 5 _FULLSCREEN _SQUAREPIXELS, _SMOOTH END SELECT _LIMIT 30 LOOP UNTIL _EXIT SYSTEM